Mobile IconClick to Call
NorthGroup Insurance Services, Inc

13903 S Old Statesville Rd
Huntersville, NC 28078

Get Directions IconGet Directions

3824 Barrett Dr, Ste 101
Raleigh, NC 27609

Get Directions IconGet Directions

Tips for Navigating Traffic Laws Abroad

Traveling can be a lot of fun, but driving in another country is a little scary. Are you following all the local laws? Even if you are, are you driving in a way that might be considered rude here, even though it’s acceptable in the US? How do you deal with cops in your new country? Will your Young Insurance policy keep you covered abroad? Here are some legal points you need to know when driving overseas:

You’ll Need an International Driving Permit

When driving overseas, you’re going to need an international driving permit, as well as your state-issued driver’s license. Make sure to keep both on you at all times.

Pack the Local Driver’s Manual

You’re probably not going to be able to memorize all of a country’s road rules before you have to hit the road, but if you head to the country’s equivalent of a DMV, you should be able to get an English-language version of their manual that you can keep in the glovebox so that you always have a resource you can check when you don’t know what to do. A travel companion who can read relevant rules to you as you drive will be invaluable.

Don’t Skimp on Liability Insurance

You don’t know what can happen out there, and the chances of a fender bender or scrape-up are increased when you’re learning the rules of the road all over again. Your insurance provider may be able to set you up with a liability policy for a rental car abroad, but if not, car rental agencies offer additional insurance packages, and many credit card companies allow their users to buy insurance for rental cars through their card.

Call Young Insurance today to make sure you are covered for your next international traveling excursion.